Saturday, March 29, 2008

Varanasi

Last month my Mother came to visit me in India. Since I had a midterm break in my studies, we decided to 'hit the road' and see some places that were of interest for my Mom. We had a great time in Delhi, Vrindavan, Varanasi and Jaipur. So - here you go - a bunch of pictures from Varanasi!

Varanasi - the city of lights, city that gives liberation, place for Gangaji worship, hippie paradise, cremation ghats and a good university - a blend of it all!

Typical little, narrow gallies of Kashi. My Hindi teachers from here (Jaipur) are mostly Varanasi-vasis. They say that these little gallies were designed to be narrow like that on the purpose. In case of a Mughal army attack - not many soldiers could squeeze in such a narrow space all at once!



Zorro in Kashi! Actually not, he was a French tourist, and I have no idea why he was always dressed like that! I have bumped into him on several occasions, within a few days.

The Devatas and me!

Gangaji.

Famous Ganga arati at the Dasasvamedha Ghat.

Here my Mother is ready to do her own offering too!




Me loitering around on the grounds of the BHU - Benares Hindu University. They have a great campus with many department buildings. Some years ago I was considering studying there, but somehow or other I ended up at SOAS in London instead.

These riksha wallas are friends of my fellow students in Jaipur. 3 years ago our Hindi Language Program was based in Varanasi, before it was finally shifted to Rajasthan.

1 comment:

secret stars said...

good information i like it thanks & keep it up