Monday, June 23, 2008

The Non Sacred Sounds of India

Well, just as people appreciate the sacredness of India with it's mantras, tantras, sound of aratik songs and ringing bells, I am pondering about it's non sacred sounds that surround me every day...

Here you go, that is what the background sounds of my life here consists of:

1) Sound of clearing the throat followed by spit. From the window of my bathroom I can hear that every morning from my neighbors' house.

2) "Breaaad, breaaad!" - that's the guy who sells bread every morning in front of my house. It is followed later on in the day by people selling brooms, subjis, newspapers, chai, muri, namkeen, ice cream, samosas and so on.

3) Buzzing of the AC. And fan.

4) Buzzing of the energy saving light bulbs (the long one's that make you feel that you are in a hospital ward!).

5) Hooting of scooters, bikes and cars.

6) "Radio Mirchi" - (They always say: "Radio Mirchi sunnewale - always kush!" - those who listen to radio Mirchi are always happy!)

7) Bollywood songs - my addiction!

8) Silly TV advertisements.

9) Questions asked by absolute strangers: "Which country do you belong to? Are you married?" - next time you ask me, I will strangle you, by the way.

10) Sexual harassment lines and sleazy chat up lines - as a response, I have become expert in Hindi dirty language.

11) A guy who lives around the corner and dressed up as a clown follows people around playing a tambourine.

12) Bharat (wedding) processions that march back and forth in front of my window.

13) Brass bands that are just so uncool.

14) Screaming kids. Screaming big families.

... Any other ideas and experiences anyone out there?????

And thanks God that India has so many sacred sounds to balance it all out and give one some tranquility, so that one doesn't go totally nuts by living here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can you forget dogs barking in the night?? ;)

പാവത്താൻ said...

its late to comment. but better late than never, it's said.
The hermit feels the solitude of the deep jungle even when he is in the city . he feels the happiness of being in company of a thousand friends even when he is in a lonely forest. its for this attain this state that I am trying hard. may god bless the whole world with peace and happiness.