Saturday, January 5, 2008

Angrez!

Ever had a personality split or were confused about where you are from? Here in India I am constantly reminded of what I am: "Angrez!". This is what the crowd calls me. Put it simply, I am white, so I am Angrez. Angrez means English. Now, here is where my confusion comes: yes, I am white. But I am Polish. And I hold British Citizenship. And have an Indian Registration Certificate. So who am I?

When I am in Poland, people say that I have become English (whatever that may mean... no, I don't eat fish and chips!). When I am in England people say I am Polish. Or, the latest from the UK scene is - I am so indianized that I am Indian. And in India, I am Angrez.

Well, I guess after the British had to pack up and leave India in 1947, someone has to make up for their presence here. Thus, whether you like it or not, you are Angrez!

1 comment:

Vaisnavacharya Chandan Goswami said...

hahaha.. nope!! you are angrejen ;)